Vishing Scam Leads to PIN-Based Debit Fraud
Members are being targeted in a vishing (phone-based phishing) scam in which fraudsters spoof phone numbers making the calls appear to originate from the credit union. The members are duped into providing CVV2/CVC2 codes and expiration dates for their debit cards. The fraudsters, already possessing the
counterfeit magstripe debit cards, use the information to change the PINs through voice response units. Then, they use the counterfeit cards to make ATM withdrawals, as well as purchases at Wal-Mart in Florida and Georgia.
Fraudsters targeting members through a vishing scam (phone-based phishing) are spoofing credit union phone numbers and posing as an employee in the credit union’s fraud or security department. The fraudsters tell the members they are calling to verify suspicious debit card transactions and, to verify the member’s
identity, the members are asked to provide the CVV2/CVC2 code and the card’s expiration date.
SELCCU MOBILE BANKING MAIN FEATURES INCLUDE:
• Log in to the app with the touch of a finger
• View your balance prior to logging in
• Transfer money between accounts and set up external accounts
• Update your profile
• Send money P2P (Peer-to-Peer)
• Log in to Secure Checking
• See up-to-date transaction history and holds
• Find ATM's in our over 50,000 surcharge-free network
Click the links below to download your NEW SELCCU MOBILE APP
NEW ONLINE BANKING PORTAL!
School Employees Lorain County Credit Union has a fresh, new design to our online banking portal. Please note you will have to enter new security questions when first logging in.
If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to member services.
Due to the recent hack, Equifax has recommended that everyone sign up for a credit monitoring service. Thieves can use the information stolen to open new bank accounts, credit cards and other lines of credit in your name among many other things. They can cause a mess and it’s your responsibility to clean it up-which can take months to years.
As part of our Secure Checking account, you have access to a product called IDProtect*. IDProtect helps you better protect yourself against identity theft, including:
- Total Identity Monitoring: IDProtect monitors more than 1,000 databases including credit, Social Security, public records, real property records, telephone and many more. You will be notified of any possible identity compromise.
- 3-in-1 Credit File Monitoring: IDProtect monitors Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files daily. It will automatically alert you if key changes occur.
- 3-in-1 Credit Report: Every 90 days you can request a free, updated credit report and score to verify everything in your history is correct and nothing looks suspicious.
- Comprehensive Identity Theft Resolution Services: You won’t have to do it alone should you become a victim. IDProtect will assign you your very own fraud resolution specialist to help you every step of the way until your credit and identity are completely restored.
- Identity Theft Expense Reimbursement Coverage**: You will receive up to $10,000 to help pay expenses, clear your name and repair damaged credit, should you become the victim of identity theft. (**Refer to Guide of Benefit)
If you are currently using our Secure Checking account make sure that you have registered and activated all of the features needed at www.SecureChecking.com. It is especially important to have quick and easy access to credit and identity monitoring systems as the word digitizes and cyber-criminals adapt. If you currently do not have a credit monitoring product, please considering talking to a financial service representative (440-324-3400) about Secure Checking and how it can protect you and your family from fraud.
Please visit our website to view the accounts we offer and their features:
(You can read more about the breach here: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/).
*IDProtect service is a personal identity theft protection service available to personal checking account owners and their joint account owners. The service is available to non-publicly traded businesses and their business owner(s) listed on the account (service not available to employees or authorized signers who are not owners). Service is not available to a “signer” on the account who is not an account owner. Service is not available to clubs, organizations and/or churches and their members, schools and their employees/students. For revocable grantor trusts, the service is available only when a grantor is serving as a trustee and covers the grantor trustee(s). For all other fiduciary accounts, the service covers the beneficiary, who must be the primary member (Fiduciary is not covered).